Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

Music and everyday life........

“Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” ~Berthold Auerbach

It has been a busy week at the Reed household! Cody is elbow deep in Home School about 6 hours a day. Connor is elbow deep in anything he can get elbow deep in (not to exclude the toilet , anything in the garage, or the refrigerator) . And I am elbow deep in all that and my music.  The funny thing is, I love it all and wouldn’t trade it for the world
.
This week I have been getting ready to go into the studio to record some demo tracks of songs my producer and I have chosen as possibilities for my first two singles. The problem is, there are SO many talented writers out there (an extremely good “problem” to have in my case ;) )!! A few weeks ago, my producer Clyde had meetings with publishers in Nashville. After hearing about me and my voice, they pitched him songs they thought I might like. Turns out, I love them!! They are great!! Before I started this process, I never really thought about all of the professional songwriters who never got their music heard. This all means that I have 50+ songs to choose from on top of the 40+ Clyde had already sent me!! I am a very indecisive person….. This could be hard… lol

Since I am not in Nashville and my producer is, I have been recording demos of my favorite songs and sending them to him to review. This way, he can help me decide which songs are best suited for my voice, etc… This process is so much fun! I am hearing songs that only a handful of people have heard before and I get to choose my favorites and make them my own! How much fun is that?!?

It is also EXTREMELY stressful!! These first few songs have to be SPECTACULAR! They will be my first impression on the general public…. Eeeek. My decision has to be right on or my whole career could flop. Luckily, I have the expertise of an excellent producer and a few great friends in the industry to guide me. I will tell you…. There are a few songs I am very attached to already. I think you will like them. ;) Next week will go something like this…. Sunday after church I will be meeting up with Kelly Anderson, very good friend and stellar guitarist, to learn 3 or 4 more songs to send to my producer. Monday, Kelly and I have an acoustic gig at a private party. Tuesday, Kelly and I will be recording 3 or 4 demo songs somewhere between 6pm and 1am on Wednesday. Wednesday night, Kelly and I will be back in the studio recording 3 or 4 more (same time frame). Then, on Friday, Kelly and I have another gig at Cajun Cookers.  So you see a theme here?!?! Poor Kelly! I am very fortunate that he loves music every bit as much as I do. I honestly don’t know what I would do without him at this point….. Not to be sappy… ;)

So….. this weekend, since Tommy is working ALL weekend, Cody, Connor and I will be spending a little bit of time in the sunshine. I will be working on my demos at Connor’s naptime so we will have a smooth time in the studio (Maybe we can actually make it out of there before midnight… ;) ). Oh.. and we will be watching college football.. My kids are avid Razorback fans…. BOTH of there bedrooms are Razorback red. GO HOGS!!!! Have a great weekend, everyone!


Keyla%20Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment